vaf | vitalogy.de and fans [pearl-jam.de]

Eddie "Environmentalist of the Year" - Award

Offline J

• vaf | Yellow Ledbetter
http://www.sima.com/4-news/news_detail.aspx?id=36

2007 WATERMAN'S WEEKEND DATES SET, HONOREES ANNOUNCED

— Lisa Andersen, Eddie Vedder and Randy Rarick To Receive Awards —   

ALISO VIEJO, Calif. (March 22, 2007) — The Surf Industry Manufacturers Association (SIMA) will honor women’s surfing icon Lisa Andersen as Waterman of the Year, Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder as Environmentalist of the Year, and North Shore pioneer and surf contest guru Randy Rarick with the Lifetime Achievement Award as part of the association’s annual Waterman’s Weekend environmental fundraiser. Kelly Slater and Layne Beachley will also receive special achievement awards in honor of their record-breaking world championship title victories.   

The 18th Waterman’s Weekend will be held August 23-24, 2007, at The St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort & Spa in Dana Point, Calif. The weekend begins Thursday, August 23 with the Waterman’s Classic Golf Tournament and culminates on Friday, August 24 with the Waterman’s Ball and Auction.   

“The SIMA Board of Directors has selected a very deserving lineup of honorees and we believe the surf industry will agree that each of these honorees has undoubtedly earned our respect and appreciation,” said Dick Baker, president of SIMA. “On behalf of the surf industry, SIMA is proud to honor Lisa, Eddie, Randy, Kelly and Layne at this year’s Waterman’s Ball for their unique and powerful influence on the sport and culture of surfing.”

[...]

Eddie Vedder, perhaps best known for his musical talents, is also a notable force in the world of environmental advocacy. Vedder and his band, Pearl Jam, are active in many environmental causes – most notable to the surf industry are the fights to save Trestles and Hawaii’s North Shore. Vedder supported the Surfrider Foundation by donating $1 from every ticket sold for Pearl Jam’s L.A. shows in 2006 to the Save Trestles campaign through Pearl Jam's Vitalogy Foundation. In addition to the Save Trestles campaign, Vedder and Pearl Jam staged a concert on the North Shore of Hawaii in December 2006 to raise money for the North Shore Community Land Trusts’ “Campaign for Pupukea Paumalu” to help save the North Shore from development.

“Not only is Eddie a talented musician, but a true surfer at heart and his efforts to protect our waves and environment are widely appreciated by the surf industry,” said Paul Naude, chairman of the SIMA Environmental Fund Board of Directors and CEO of Billabong USA. “The battles to save Trestles and Pupukea Paumalu, both part of the industry’s playground, are extremely important to surfers. Eddie has not only supported the fights monetarily, but perhaps more importantly by using his and Pearl Jam’s influence to bring attention to the fights when attention was needed. Eddie rallies behind numerous environmental efforts and practices what he preaches. It is an honor for the surf industry to recognize this diligent environmentalist as SIMA Environmentalist of the Year.”

[...]

Und ich habe mich so gefreut!
sagst du vorwurfsvoll.
Du hast dich gefreut. -
Ist das nichts?

Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Teahupoo

• vaf | (In) Thin Air
  • 149,5°West 17,66°Süd
Antwort #1 am: 27. Juli 2007 um 17:20
Glückwunsch Eddie, ne symphatische Auszeichnung.
Das Leben ist eine schöne Melodie - nur die Texte stimmen nicht immer.

Offline J

• vaf | Yellow Ledbetter
Antwort #2 am: 27. August 2007 um 10:21
http://beach.freedomblogging.com/2007/08/25/honorees-speak-at-watermans-ball/

Honorees speak at Waterman’s Ball
August 25th, 2007 · Post a Comment · posted by sprice
Friday night’s Waterman’s Ball featured the most star-studded lineup of honorees in the event’s 18-year history.

The annual surf industry fundraiser for the environment in Laguna Niguel raised an estimated $500,000 for 16 different local, regional and national environmental groups, but even the rock-star status of honorees Lisa Andersen and Kelly Slater were upstaged by real rock star Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam.
Four-time world champ Andersen received the Waterman of the Year award; Shaper and long-time director of the Hawaiian Triple Crown Randy Rarick was honored with the Lifetime Achievement award and Vedder, who much of the sold out crowd came to see, was named Environmentalist of the Year.

Vedder pushed the envelop of decorum for the room, proclaiming the Bush administration’s environmental policies “criminal,” but also asking “Why this tolerance for deception? At some point we are responsible.” He also said environmentalism has changed. “I don’t think it’s about chaining yourself to trees anymore, it’s about doing business right. It’s about finding a better business model.”
And Vedder said the idea of being given an award for environmentalism was “like being given an award for breathing. It’s what you have to do to stay alive.”

But Vedder also had some fun, taking a surfer’s point of view of work.
“I had a choice to write a speech or go for a three-hour surf with Mark Richards. I went for a surf.”

He also poked fun at his coziness with the big names of surfing. “I never got to see Hendrix play, but it’s OK because I got to see Rob (Machado) and Kelly (Slater) surf Pipeline. I never got to see Perry Como or Andy Williams either, but when I watch Rob and Kelly play golf, I think it’s the same.”

Andersen joked that her achievements paled in comparison to the evening’s special achievement honorees Slater and Layne Beachley. “Four’s not even a number,” she said. “You gotta have eight to be cool now.”

She praised her mother, who was in the audience, and said that family and being a good mom was now her highest priorities, then acknowledged the show running late. “I know you guys are waiting to get some drinks, so thanks for being quiet.”

Rarick described the joy of shaping over 12,000 surfboards: For every person I made a board for, the thought that I improved their surfing is thrilling to me.”

Slater, who’s acceptance speech started the evening, corrected Quiksilver CEO Bob McKnight.

“Bob said I came to Quiksilver when I was 18, which was untrue. I came to them when I was 10 and they didn’t respond.”
He said of his friend Vedder, “Eddie called me one time and said, ‘I want to take this surf trip to Florida.’ I said ‘That’s no surf trip. What’s her name?’”

He also joked about leaving a surf trip to accept the award. “I was in Fiji yesterday and didn’t want to leave, but I knew this would be a good night,” he said. “But I’m afraid to get a call from Shane Dorian that it was 10 feet and I missed it.”

– Shawn Price
sagst du vorwurfsvoll.
Du hast dich gefreut. -
Ist das nichts?

Offline bobafett

• vaf | Man Of Golden Words
  • It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Me Back
Antwort #3 am: 27. August 2007 um 10:40
Zitat
Vedder pushed the envelop of decorum for the room, proclaiming the Bush administration’s environmental policies “criminal,” but also asking “Why this tolerance for deception? At some point we are responsible.” He also said environmentalism has changed. “I don’t think it’s about chaining yourself to trees anymore, it’s about doing business right. It’s about finding a better business model.”
And Vedder said the idea of being given an award for environmentalism was “like being given an award for breathing. It’s what you have to do to stay alive.”

Interessante Entwicklung die Eddie da in den Jahren durchgemacht hat und auch sehr schön am Ende noch ein wenig den Preis selber abzusauen.
I go through all this before you wake up
So I can feel happier to be safe up here with you

Offline J

• vaf | Yellow Ledbetter
Antwort #4 am: 27. August 2007 um 10:51
« Letzte Änderung: 27. August 2007 um 10:53 von J »
sagst du vorwurfsvoll.
Du hast dich gefreut. -
Ist das nichts?

Offline bobafett

• vaf | Man Of Golden Words
  • It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Me Back
Antwort #5 am: 27. August 2007 um 10:54
Ich merke gerade das Damensurfen eine Sportart ist, die im Deutschen Fernsehen viel zu wenig gefördert wird.
I go through all this before you wake up
So I can feel happier to be safe up here with you

Offline J

• vaf | Yellow Ledbetter
Antwort #6 am: 03. September 2007 um 09:53
keine ahnung ob der link erlaubt ist, aber ich versuchs mal.
hier ist das video von eddies rede:

http://www.surfexpo.com/dotnetnuke/Features/EddieVedder/tabid/260/Default.aspx

und hier gibts fotos:

http://www.surfexpo.com/dotnetnuke/Home/PhotoGallery/SurfPhotosEvents/tabid/79/Default.aspx
sagst du vorwurfsvoll.
Du hast dich gefreut. -
Ist das nichts?

Offline magda.d

• vaf | Yellow Ledbetter
Antwort #7 am: 03. September 2007 um 21:54
die dankesrede ist wieder ein eddie klassiker. er versteht es die menge zu unterhalten  :D ;D
Just be darling and I will be too - faithful to you

Offline J

• vaf | Yellow Ledbetter
Antwort #8 am: 04. September 2007 um 10:05
die dankesrede ist wieder ein eddie klassiker. er versteht es die menge zu unterhalten  :D ;D

find ich auch  ;D ich mag seine reden überhaupt gerne. wenn die meisten leute reden schwingen sind die entweder voll langweilig, oder sie sagen nichts aus. eddie hat das aber irgendwie drauf. er bringt seine punkte rüber, und kann dabei trotzdem unterhalten.
ein wenig lang wird das ganze dann zwar meistens, aber es gibt schlimmeres  ;)
sagst du vorwurfsvoll.
Du hast dich gefreut. -
Ist das nichts?