Du hast dich gefreut. -
Ist das nichts?

Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline bobafett

• vaf | Man Of Golden Words
  • It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Me Back
Antwort #76 am: 31. Dezember 2005 um 13:33
Ein kurzer Artikel aus der aktuellen SPIN Ausgabe (USA):

Die lustigsten Stellen habe habe ich mal markiert.

January 1995
By: Chuck Klosterman

December 23, 2005

Ethically pure grunge and cokehead Britpop prove that history is bunk half the time

Whenever historians examine the past, they tend to put forth one of two points: They either want to show how things today are totally different, or they want to argue that things are pretty much the same. The problem (of course) is that both conditions are usually true at the same time: Eleven years ago in Spin, Village Voice gossip columnist Michael Musto wrote an article that tried to reunite the cast of The Breakfast Club, an idea that MTV still thought was wildly original last summer; more than ten years have passed and nothing has changed. However, there are also two articles in this issue that make reference to My So-Called Life (one of which attempts to use Claire Danes as proof that D Generation's debut album wasn't terrible). More than ten years have passed and everything has changed (or at least everything that relates to Brian Krakow not getting laid).

As such, I'm unsure if the cover story on Pearl Jam (1995's Best Band, as chosen by Spinreaders) or the concert review of Oasis (playing clubs on the Definitely Maybe tour) is a reflection of a) how rock music has changed over the past decade or (b) which cultural clichés transcend time. What's interesting is that both articles predict the future (one latently, one overtly), and both predictions proved accurate; the reason this qualifies as "interesting" is that any future that's easy to predict usually proves nothing is terribly different.

The Pearl Jam story is a Q&A with Eddie Vedder at the apex of the singer's public self-loathing. "I totally agree with that," he says when the reporter mentions that Pearl Jam were also selected as the year's Most Overrated Band. "I wouldn't have put us as the best band, but I certainly would have put us as the most overrated." Vedder goes on to express guilt that Mudhoney never experienced the platinum success of Pearl Jam (which is paradoxical, since Eddie clearly indicates that fame ruined his life, so I'm not sure why he would've wanted Mark Arm to have the same negative experience, but, you know, whatever). The unspoken prediction throughout this piece is that Pearl Jam secretly intend to become a smaller, less important rock band. Which they did. And that's kind of amazing.

I'm not sure if any major band ever managed their success as adroitly as Pearl Jam -- maybe U2 or the Rolling Stones, but they merely figured out a way to maintain their achieved status. Pearl Jam actually constructed the curve (and the meaning) of their entire existence. I'm confused by people who hate Pearl Jam. I can't understand why anyone would hate a group that became the biggest band in the world and then dedicated its career to quietly becoming average size. Pearl Jam only made one great song ("Corduroy"), but they have about 19 others that are better than decent; they easily could have made three more albums that were replicants of Ten and spent the remainder of their days eating lobster claws inside a biosphere of gold. But they didn't. They didn't, because they thought that would make them unlikable. You see, nice guys do not finish last; nice guys finish in the middle.

Which brings us to Oasis, a band that cut out the middleman and passed the megalomania on to you. Oasis became the anti-Pearl Jam: They weren't nice to anyone, including themselves. "Because Oasis is fueled by a creative tension growing out of the mutual loathing of the Gallagher brothers," wrote Jonathan Bernstein, "it's questionable whether the band will have an evolution." Oasis did evolve; they evolved into cokeheads, and it became increasingly difficult to take them seriously. But it's even more difficult to argue with their musical output; whereas Pearl Jam only made one great song, Noel Gallagher wrote at least three for Definitely Maybe. And he kept going. "Acquiesce" is awesome x 3. "Don't Look Back in Anger" is awesome x 11. Everyone likes to claim Be Here Now is atrocious, but it's still cooler than anything by Blur. In fact, Oasis produced two of the three exceptional Britpop albums released in the entire '90s. So we are left to wonder: Who's better off? Pearl Jam for succeeding at becoming average on purpose, or Oasis for becoming ridiculous by accident? Both Eddie and Noel adore Neil Young, a man who asked a similar question in 1979: Is it better to burn out or to fade away? Everything changes.

And everything doesn't.

http://www.spin.com/features/magazine/columns/chuck_klosterman/2005/12/0601_chuck/
I go through all this before you wake up
So I can feel happier to be safe up here with you

Offline bobafett

Antwort #77 am: 10. Januar 2006 um 00:03
Eines der Gründe, warum es wohl mit der 10c Single, der Platte und dem Poster Verkauf momentan so schleppend voran geht.

Pearl Jam zieht um

Offline bobafett

Antwort #78 am: 10. Januar 2006 um 19:40
Und noch einer,
wird wohl einen Nachfolger des Place/Date Books geben, wieder mit Bildern von Lance Mercer.

Pearl Jam Goes Through The Camera Eye
January 10, 2006, 10:30 AM ET
Greg Prato, N.Y.
In tandem with fellow renowned Seattle photographer Charles Peterson, Lance Mercer in 1998 issued the first Pearl Jam photo book, "Place/Date." But there were plenty of shots that slipped through the cracks, a number of which will be seen this spring in the new volume "5x1: Pearl Jam Through the Eye of Lance Mercer." The book will be sold via Pearl Jam's Web site.

"I've been sitting on an archive of images for quite a long time, and was having coffee with [Pearl Jam bassist] Jeff [Ament]," Mercer tells Billboard.com. "We were talking about [how] I have all these Pearl Jam images that nobody's ever seen, like all this behind-the-scenes stuff. And Regan [Hagar, member of Pearl Jam side band Brad] is pretty instrumental in pushing me forward. I was kind of in this space where I wasn't sure what I was going to do photographically. So between the two of them and me, we came up with this idea of putting this book together."

"The nice thing about it was that Regan and I pretty much had free reign to put it together before we even showed it to them," Mercer continues. "We did a mock-up, but we waited for a long time -- we went through thousands of images and various different sequences of photos, and came up with one. We've been working on it over a year. I'm friends with those guys, and I'm in the mix, so it wasn't too hard to approach them on it."

Asked how the new book differs from the previous one, Mercer offers, "It's a lot more personal -- that's a big part of it. Some live stuff, but not really as much as the last one. The other thing is it's a lot more hands-on, and I think it's a lot more of a collaboration between Regan and I. Personal is the key, even down to the size we made it. It's going to be an 8x10 size book, so people can just carry it with them in their bag." The images span from the early to the mid '90s ("There's nothing super recent in it," Mercer notes).

Two photos in particular are among Mercer's favorites. "There's one where [guitarist] Mike [McCready] is dancing around in his hotel room," Mercer says.
"For me, it was one of those days where I think it was a turning point for me, because they were comfortable enough with me that I was able to just hang out in their hotel room and take pictures of them doing their everyday tour thing. There's another one where [singer] Eddie [Vedder] is playing around with the manager's daughter, and it's just really an innocent moment. I really love that shot -- they're in this hallway. Their guard was down and I was able to get some pretty spontaneous moments."

With "5x1" ready for release, Mercer already has plans for another book. "I'm actually going to jump right away into another book of the overall music scene," he says. "I'm just going to give Regan all my photos and let him pick through them. I have thousands of images. It could be from Malfunkshun to Soundgarden, maybe some of the punk bands, like the U-Men. A really eclectic mix of different things. I shot a lot of bands that weren't Seattle too -- there's tons."

As previously reported, Pearl Jam is eyeing a late spring release for its next studio album, which will be its first for J Records.

Offline matthias

• vaf | Off He Goes
Antwort #79 am: 17. März 2006 um 20:35
so was nennt man wohl einen schlag ins gesicht:

in der märz ausgabe der nmz, der neuen musikzeitung, heisst es über die neue platte von scott stapp:

"...was stapp hier abliefert, ist mitleidloser, zorniger postgrunge. harte gitarren dominieren, der gesang tendiert in richtung wütender eddie vedder (pearl jam)."

was soll man dazu noch sagen? :-X :-X >:(

(Hoffe das passt hier in den thread)

Offline Der sich 'nen Wolf tanzt

• vaf | Yellow Ledbetter
  • I need to watch things die from a distance
Antwort #80 am: 17. März 2006 um 22:09
so was nennt man wohl einen schlag ins gesicht:

in der märz ausgabe der nmz, der neuen musikzeitung, heisst es über die neue platte von scott stapp:

"...was stapp hier abliefert, ist mitleidloser, zorniger postgrunge. harte gitarren dominieren, der gesang tendiert in richtung wütender eddie vedder (pearl jam)."

was soll man dazu noch sagen? :-X :-X >:(

(Hoffe das passt hier in den thread)

Am Besten gar nichts sagen und ignorieren. lalala... ich kann ihn nicht hören  ::)
"I accept chaos, I'm not sure whether it accepts me." - Bob Dylan

Bandhomepage:
http://www.band-enliven.de

Offline Elrohir

• vaf | (in)Habit(ant)
  • Carpe diem!
Antwort #81 am: 18. März 2006 um 00:00
Oh mein Gott, der hat eine neue Platte....hab ich mich wohl doch nicht verhört, als ich kürzlich einen Song im Radio hörte und so dachte...mh klingt ganz nach Scott Stapp, der konnte es also doch net lassen.
Je weniger einer braucht, desto mehr nähert er sich den Göttern, die gar nichts brauchen - Sokrates

Marseille - Mailand - Berlin 2006
München - London - Düsseldorf 2007
Rotterdam - Berlin 2009
Berlin 2010
2x Amsterdam - 2x Berlin 2012
2x Amsterdam - Wien - Berlin 2014
Amsterdam 2017 (EV)
Berlin2018

Offline Mindcrime

• vaf | Team-Mitglied
  • vaf | (in)Habit(ant)
  • Too old to rock, too stoned to stop!
Antwort #82 am: 18. März 2006 um 11:31
Oh mein Gott, der hat eine neue Platte....hab ich mich wohl doch nicht verhört, als ich kürzlich einen Song im Radio hörte und so dachte...mh klingt ganz nach Scott Stapp, der konnte es also doch net lassen.

Leider nicht! Ich "durfte" die vor kurzem sogar besprechen: http://www.musicheadquarter.de/review_cd/cd_single.php?id=181

Aber zurück zum Topic:

Ich weiß nicht, ob es schonmal irgendwo stand (irgendwann hab ich hier den Überblick verloren), aber hier gibt es einen Artikel von AOLMusic zum neuen Album. Nett sind die "Pearls of Wisdom".

Und im amerikanischen Rolling Stone steht auch noch was. Jetzt wissen wir zumindest, warum das Album schlicht "Pearl Jam" heißt:

"A couple of rock songs, a couple of ballads -- it's not rocket science," says Pearl Jam guitarist Stone Gossard about the band's new disc. Not that he wants to undersell the hard work the band put into its eighth studio album, and its first studio record for Clive Davis' J Records. Pearl Jam entered Seattle's Studio X in November 2004, each member armed with ideas. After whittling about thirty songs to sixteen working tracks, singer Eddie Vedder took the rough sketches and wrote lyrics for them. "That took a while," says Gossard, "but it was worth the wait: He wrote some beautiful lyrics for this record." The title, Pearl Jam, reflects the group's most collaborative effort yet: It produced the album together, along with Adam Kasper; each member will receive writing credits; and, for the first time ever, guitarist Mike McCready contributes lyrics, to the album closer, "Inside Job." Gossard's two musical pieces, "Parachutes," an island-flavored beauty with acoustic guitars, a Wurlitzer and shifting time signatures, and "Life Wasted," which features a bridge reminiscent of Pink Floyd, are among the twelve or thirteen tracks that will make the final cut. "It feels like a new opportunity for us," says Gossard. "We're proud of the songs, and we think they have a chance to do a little better commercially." The boys are also bracing for a yearlong world tour, to kick off in late spring. "All of our new stuff is so much fun to play," says Gossard, on a break from rehearsing the album's first single, "Worldwide Suicide." "I can't wait." (AUSTIN SCAGGS)

vaf-Tipp-Meister 2004, 2016 / Sieger vaf-Kicktippliga 2005, 2006 / ConfedCup-Sieger 2005 / vaf-Pokalsieger 2012

Offline bobafett

Antwort #83 am: 18. März 2006 um 12:48
Oh ja, die beiden Artikel waren schon hier.
Der AOL Artikel mit dem merkwürdigen Begriff "aggression", der so gar nicht zu den bísher gehörtem passen will.
Und der Rolling STone Artikel mit dem bösen Wort  "commercially".

Offline Tyler Durden

• Nimm einen tiefen Zug, dann kannst Du gut kacken!
Antwort #84 am: 19. April 2006 um 13:45
Hat eigentlich einer schon die neue Visions??? Da soll lt. Cover ein Bericht über Pearl Jam drin sein......
88/2511/244

Bis zum bitteren Ende.......95 ole!

"Man macht auch nicht in drei Tagen aus einer Würstchenbude eine Großraumdiskothek." (Norbert Meier)

Offline J

• vaf | Yellow Ledbetter
Antwort #85 am: 19. April 2006 um 18:36
Und ich habe mich so gefreut!
sagst du vorwurfsvoll.
Du hast dich gefreut. -
Ist das nichts?

Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Elrohir

• vaf | (in)Habit(ant)
  • Carpe diem!
Antwort #86 am: 20. April 2006 um 06:17
Hat eigentlich einer schon die neue Visions??? Da soll lt. Cover ein Bericht über Pearl Jam drin sein......

Sollte eigentlich schon da sein, wozu hat man ein Abo. Ich hoffe, dass ich sie heute im Briefkasten vorfinde.
Je weniger einer braucht, desto mehr nähert er sich den Göttern, die gar nichts brauchen - Sokrates

Marseille - Mailand - Berlin 2006
München - London - Düsseldorf 2007
Rotterdam - Berlin 2009
Berlin 2010
2x Amsterdam - 2x Berlin 2012
2x Amsterdam - Wien - Berlin 2014
Amsterdam 2017 (EV)
Berlin2018

Offline dr.heymaker

• vaf | Yellow Ledbetter
Antwort #87 am: 20. April 2006 um 10:53
aufm cover ist aber tool. ist aber ein bericht drin. steht so drauf. weiss aber nicht wie groß der bericht ist.
da das kiosk meines vertrauens sie erst morgen bekommt. aber auf der internetseite von visions ist das cover drauf.
bin mal gespannt!

Offline bobafett

Antwort #88 am: 20. April 2006 um 12:45
im RollingStone gibts ein Q & A mit Ed:

Wer die Scans vom Interview und das Album Review gerne hätte:

Hier

Offline dr.heymaker

• vaf | Yellow Ledbetter
Antwort #89 am: 20. April 2006 um 13:19
tausend dank boba.
da fällt mir ein, ich habe am wochenende deinen namensvetter in lebensgröße (aber noch die good old one) als pappaufsteller für 5 euro erworben. -aber nur so nebenbei.

der artikel is sehr fein!
dangge für den link.